Tuesday, November 6, 2007

My RSS Reader -- Thing #9

I'm using the Google Reader because most of my "stuff" is Google related. It's nice to have it loaded on my iGoogle page so I can see if I have any items to read when I load my home page. Every thing is on one page and that makes it quick and easy. Love it!

The easiest blog search for me, is the Google reader's browse feature. It's already there on the page and I can use keyword searches for what I'm interested in. I think Technorati was the most difficult, but just because I wasn't paying attention. When I first when out there to look at it, I didn't realize I was looking at "posts" instead of "blogs" and that had me baffled until I looked at the top of the page and figured out where I was.

The Suprglu site for School Library Journal had a lot of good feeds on it and I liked how it was all in one place. I added some of the Edublogs Award Winners because I knew they would be good to watch. One of those was HeyJude which won Best Librarian Blog.

Of all my work-related feeds, my favorite is Unshelved, which showcases a comic strip about libraries. Many of my shared items come from this funny quick feed! (They also have really cool t-shirts and bumper stickers!)

Now that I know what to look for, I've started searching for the RSS feed when I go to some of my favorite websites to see if I can add them to my reader. One example is KnowledgeNews. I was getting their information in my email and that was sometimes a hassle. Now I can take a quick look at what they have and delete whatever doesn't interest me.

This has been the best "thing" I've learned so far on this journey.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.