Sunday, July 27, 2008

Sundays

I'm up early this morning (well, earlier than I've been since we got back from SF), eating some breakfast and on the computer (duh!).

Though I'm ashamed to say it, it's been awhile since I've been to church. Something comes up, we're out-of-town, or I have a migraine. Really, just all excuses. I've been somewhat "unhappy" with church -- not God by any means, I couldn't get through a day without Him -- but organized religion, maybe.

It's hard to put it into words, but, I've felt "let down" I guess and I decided this week, I've got to pull up my big girl pants and get over it! God hasn't let me down, people have and that's the way life is. The point is that I don't let myself down (or my daughter).

So, I called a friend of mine and asked if I could go to Sunday School with her today. She was so excited and said she had been praying for me! It's much easier to take that first step when you have a friend beside you!

Right now, I'm going to go get ready for church and take it one Sunday-at-a-time!

2 comments:

mmw said...

I've been struggling with this very thing too! We have a new pastor that I'm not really thrilled about, and that makes it hard for me to get to church every Sunday. You're absolutely right, though. I'm not supposed to be going for the pastor - I'm supposed to be going to worship. I shouldn't let other people get in the way of my doing that.

Teresa said...

Isn't it funny that we all struggle with similar issues? We're visiting churches in hopes of finding a place where we can feel at home. There's no perfect church, by any means, but we visited one last Sunday where the pastor was awesome: very vulnerable in admitting his own struggles, yet encouraging all of us (the topic was overcoming bitterness). Rick and I walked away remembering every point he made, and we still do, days later. It's been a while since a message has been that pertinent to our lives. I can't wait to go back, even though it's quite a drive. I hope you find what you're looking for, too.