Sunday, March 6, 2011

#27 -- Blindsided

Blindsided, by Priscilla Cummings, is an outstanding book about a teenager who has to face the fact that she is losing her sight. She goes through the denial, depression, frustration and hope that anyone would experience given the circumstances.

This is something I think about on a regular basis. I have had problems with my vision since 1st grade. I wore a patch over one eye to strengthen the one that was weak, I've worn glasses as long as I can remember, have had two holes in my retina repaired by laser surgery and fight the larger floaters and torn membranes inside my eye that obscure my vision daily. I don't fear blindness necessarily, but I think about the possibility of it in my future. My brother may have the same thoughts. He has had two retina detachments and had surgery to correct both. We inherited some crazy genes somewhere along the way. It can be very frustrating.

Reading this book, gave me hope that if something happens to my vision in the future, there are options available. I need only to have the strength and determination to make the change if need be. Until then, I thank God everyday that I still have my sight.

1 comment:

definitesky said...

You should read the book Blindness; it will really freak you out. Practically the whole planet goes blind. I really appreciate your blog and glad to have book suggestions and I love that you read a variety of genres. Keep reading & blogging.