Tuesday, January 4, 2011

# 2 -- Sugar Changed the World

One of my goals this year is to read more nonfiction and to change up my genre choices. I'm a slave to my mystery/thriller books and want to expand my reading base. This book: Sugar Changed the World, by Marc Aronson and Marina Budhos, was a step in that new direction.

The book is written for school libraries and approaches the subject like a student might with a research question. I found it to be informative and interesting. I did not understand the way the sugar industry had come about, and learned much with this reading. I also appreciated the note at the end of the book that was written to the teachers and librarians to explain the process the writers took to create the book with their research.

2 comments:

Mamalibearian said...

So what are your feelings about this book in elementary school? I've heard about it and everyone thinks it's great. But is it something I could use at my elementary school?

Librarianmarn said...

Yes, I think you could use it with your upper grades. It would be a great tool to show how "involved" research really is -- how a simple question about your family roots can send you back hundreds of years and to the other side of the world.