Saturday, January 15, 2011

# 7 & #8 -- Death Flight & Num8ers

I used to read a lot of Ed McBain. In fact, there was a time when I read ALL the 87th Precinct books he'd written. This is the first thing I've read by him in close to 19 years. What happened? I got burned out.

That was about the time, I really got "turned on" to books, but was still immature in my reading selections. I didn't know how to choose good books for myself and when I found an author I liked, that was all I would read. The problem with that, is you sometimes get burned out by the characters or the storylines. McBain had already written a huge amount of titles by the time I was reading them, so I didn't have to "wait" for the next one to come out in a year.

Back then, I did that with several authors and have not picked up anything else they've written. I guess I'm going to have to go back and test the waters with them and see if I can read them now. I forgot how much I liked McBain's style.


Num8ers, by Rachel Ward was an interesting read. It's about a young girl in London who sees a number when she looks into people's eyes. The number is the day of their death. She struggles against this knowledge she has of strangers and people she loves and tries to find a way to live with the numbers.

The language is different because it is written in a British setting, but it only adds to the story. And the story has a fast pace, twists and turn and a surprise ending I loved!

No comments: