Friday, October 26, 2007

RSS - Thing #8


RSS is fantastic! It's quick, easy, and a way to stay connected to the things that interest you without wading through tons of paper or online fluff.

I like the fact that I can stay in touch with what my brother is doing on his blogs (both professional and personal), keep up with new trends in the library world, and even get some comic relief with Opus the penguin and library comics. It's a great tool for making those connections all from one place without having to search for them daily. Also, I can easily see if there is anything new, or if I can leave a site alone because there are no new postings. That saves TIME!

I'm trying to think of how I could use this in the library setting, but I'm not sure what we can do with kids. I could open a public page for teachers to view.....and I guess I could do that for students as well...with ideas, information, further studies, etc. on subjects we are covering at school. It might be a good method of communication. However, the problem is always going to be getting the teachers and students to USE what you give them.

If you want to see some of the things I've found interesting, you can look at the "Check these out" links under my avatar, or view my public page. (I'll add this link when I get on my pc...my Mac doesn't allow the "link" option.)

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Isn't it cool how the articles come to you instead of vice versa?

mmw said...

My favorite blog posts are on my Learning 2.0 blog too. Check out what I've been reading at http://learn23things.blogspot.com/

Junior Master Margaret said...

Hey, thanks for your comments about the inventors cards. I am impressed at how you're moving right along. I kind of got stuck on # 7. I am trying to really get a good grasp of the tools before I move on and well...I'm hoping to have some time this weekend to really dive into it. Thanks for paving the way!