Monday, October 22, 2007

Ways to Use Blogs - Thing #4

When I think of the different ways I could use this blog in my library program, the first is sharing information. What a great way to get ideas out and have others share what they think, too. Also, it creates a community of knowledge where we can get ideas from each other and be inspired by what others are doing.

I think I could use it with my teachers, especially with research. We could share student work, post websites, and talk about what worked and what didn't when we completed our units.

Students could also answer questions about what works in the library and what they might like to see happen next year. It would be a great place to hear what is good about the library program and what needs to change.

We've started a new reading program this year, and I think the blogs would be an interesting way to allow students and teachers to comment on their favorite books, create book talks, and discuss novel units from the classroom.

The important thing to remember is to USE it and get your information out there!

3 comments:

Tim Walker said...

Marnie -- One thing you might consider is a quick tutorial on RSS feeds and feed-readers. This could be *very* useful for the teachers and their students as they find useful blogs and track key trends/news/etc.

Librarianmarn said...

Thanks, Tim. I don't know anything about RSS feeds yet, but I think it is in my list of 23 Things I'll be learning. When I do, I can teach it to someone else! :)

Tim Walker said...

Marnie -- This page might be useful:

http://www.wizard-creek.com/rss/tutorial/

I've been using Bloglines (www.bloglines.com) as my feed reader for . . . wow, maybe two years now. *Totally* simplifies the process of keeping up with blogs, news, etc.