Monday, January 21, 2008

Creative Commons -- Thing #23

When we went into Flickr (Thing #5), I found the Creative Commons section of their website and used pictures from there to post on my blog. I understood that I could use those pictures with some restrictions, but didn't grasp the depth of meaning behind the use of Creative Commons.

I think it's fascinating that Lawrence Lessig is willing to post his entire book under the Creative Commons license so more people can be exposed to it. Obviously, he's more interested in sharing than making money and that is admirable.

Though I'm no author, or genius for that matter, I feel the same way about the ideas I create for school. I'm more than happy to share what I've made for the library so someone else doesn't have to start from scratch. Maybe I could have a Creative Commons license for my research documents that would allow people to use them as they need without having to call me and ask if it's okay.

Also, I'd like to use "A Fair(y) Use Tail" with my teachers so they might understand the whole copyright mess better. That video had a lot of work behind it, and I think it's fantastic!

2 comments:

Tim Walker said...

Sis -- By coincidence, I went to school with a guy who became a protege of Lessig's and was the first executive director of Creative Commons. They do good work.

CoolLibrarian said...

I like the Fair(y) Use Tail also. I think teachers would benefit from seeing it also. You are great at sharing with others. Thanks for being such an awesome mentor!