Wednesday, January 9, 2008

LibraryThing -- Thing #11

LibraryThing is an interesting concept that is being shared by other websites as well (goodreads). It's an easy way to keep up with what you read and maybe what you might like to read next. I like being able to see the book covers and easily add new books to my library.

I've sent out an email to our teacher book club members asking them to join so we can have online discussion about our books. I've created a group called Book Mavericks ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more which will allow members to participate in book talks before we actually meet. I think it will be great for the members who finish early and are dying to talk about what they've read, but don't want to ruin it for those that are still reading. It will also serve as a springboard for getting some of my teachers to use one of the nifty 23 Things we've learned about here in Libraryland!

Personally, I want to use LibraryThing to keep track of the books I read each year. My father and I are in competition to see who can read the most each year and now I can have my list right there in front of me. I can also get it sent to my phone so when I'm in the bookstore, I don't have to rack my brain to remember if I've read a particular book or not. Which brings me to my next dilemma: do I pay for the lifetime membership?

Without payment, I can only catalog 200 books....I read 100 books in 2006, and if I went back to enter my previous readings I would already be out of space. I could remove the old list and make a new one each year, but that wouldn't help me in the "Did I read that already?" nightmare I sometimes find myself in. So, what to do? If I spend the money, which isn't a lot....I think $25, then I'm good FOREVER, and if I don't, I'm limited by what I can do with this LibraryThing. I don't like limits, but I'm not close to it yet, since I only have 25 books listed so far. I'll have to think about it.....

By the way, if you'd like to see what I've been reading lately, I have a widget on the right side of my blog you can peruse.

No comments: