Saturday, December 11, 2010

How do I keep count?

To keep up with my book count, I use an Excel worksheet that my wonderful father created for me. I list the day I start reading a new book, the day I finish reading it, the title, author, type (Adult, YA, fiction or nonfiction) and number of pages. I like being able to see how many of a certain type of book I read and how many pages I average for the year. At the bottom of the list is a SUM of all the pages I've read and an average of pages per book. Right now, I've read over 30,000 pages, so I'm averaging about 308 pages per book.

Not bad, if I do say so myself!

I think I might add a genre column to see more specifically what types of books I read and make sure I'm hitting lots of different topics instead of my old mystery/suspense standby. Of course, if you want to keep a list of books you read, you don't have to be as detailed as I am. The list does come in handy though, when I can't remember if I've read a book and can search back through the years to see if it's on the list.

FYI...in 2008 I read 81 books (avg. 355 pages - 28,775 total pages) and in 2009 I read 79 books (avg. 329 pages - 26,013 total pages). I haven't decided what my goal for next year will be yet. I'll have to decided before January 1st.

No comments: