Monday, December 20, 2010

Number 102 -- Matched

Have you read The Giver, Unwind, or The Hunger Games? Like the dystopian storyline? Then you've got to read Matched by Ally Condie.

This story focuses on The Society and begins with a young girl turning 17 and meeting her "match;" the young man The Society has chosen for her. Though the ceremony goes as planned, the information she is given about her match includes the picture of a different young man. What could it possibly mean?! Is it a mistake? The Society doesn't make mistakes!

I've heard that dystopian storylines are going to be more prevalent in YA literature, and that writers are moving away from the supernatural (vampires, werewolves, etc.). I like both, so we shall see what comes out next year. Regardless, if the story is well written, I will want to read it!

Speaking of reading....I finished this story while on a weekend vacation to Beaver's Bend State Park with my family. There are no tv's there and we spent our days walking the trails, driving and looking at deer (we saw 45 the first day!), and reading. My husband and daughter both finished a book while we were there as well. Nice to just sit in a cabin and read in the quiet with your family around you, and the fire crackling in the fireplace!

1 comment:

Mamalibearian said...

I'm adding this to my list, which is quickly growing! It sounds like something I could really get into!
I have so enjoyed your reading journey and I hope to follow in your footsteps, large as they may be.
Hope to see you soon!