Monday, December 27, 2010

Number 106 -- My Life in Dog Years

Gary Paulsen is one of my favorite writers! I didn't even know about him until I became an elementary librarian a little over 7 years ago. I'm sure I had heard about him, but had never read or made a connection to his stories. When I moved into the elementary library, I found the students and teachers talking about Hatchet and I felt like I needed to read the book as well. I was completely hooked! When I finished, I gave the book to my husband and after he read it, he asked me to get all the other "Brian books" for him to read.

My Life in Dog Years was mentioned by The Book Whisperer (Donalyn Miller) during a staff development she was presenting. I hadn't thought about looking into the "real life" stories of Gary Paulsen, but as soon as I got back to the library, I found we had not only this book but also Guts (which is next on the pile to read). My husband has read them both over this holiday break and now I am enjoying them as well. As far as I'm concerned, any book by Paulsen is a MUST READ!

No comments: