Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Number 100! -- Revolver by Marcus Sedgwick

"It was not a face stroked into creation by God's loving hand, but battered into shape by the Devil's hammer." What a way to describe the antagonist in a novel!

Revolver is set in the early 1900's in the Arctic wilderness. A boy finds his father dead on the ice, learns about secrets from the past, and fights for the survival of his family. Interesting gun facts are sprinkled throughout the novel as well.

I originally pick this book up because I am intrigued by guns. My husband is retired military and carried a gun for many years during his service. I've grown up around them and am not afraid of them, when they are used and stored properly and when those around them are educated about safety. The revolver, in particular, has always been one that fascinates me with it's simplicity and beauty.

What I like about Sedgwick's book is that the revolver has a story of it's own and is intertwined into the life of the young man in the novel. That story is much deeper and has more value than you might expect on the surface. Going to have to read more by this author!

1 comment:

Mamalibearian said...

Yay, Marnie! congrats on 100 in a year. You rock! I wish you were my son's librarian!